MS@Work Webinar 1.0 with Graham Halsey – Summary
Earlier this month, we held the first EMSP MS at Work Webinar presented by Graham Halsey, expert in Return to Work and Absence Management.
Graham spoke from the employer’s perspective on different aspects of managing a diverse workforce. Namely the costs of absence; average days lost per year due to employees being ill; the processes businesses need to build; and other issues.
From the individual’s perspective, there were specific challenges addressed like mental health and long-term illness, at the same time as disclosure and accessing the necessary support to stay in workforce.
One of the tools mentioned was a Wellness Recovery Action Programme, WRAP. Mental health advocates developed this a wellness toolbox that has currently more than 100,000 users worldwide from all walks of life and all wellness levels. Everyone can benefit from WRAP.
WRAP is a Wellness Recovery Action Plan that is self-designed and is a “preventative wellness process that anyone can use to both get and stay well, as well as to make their life the way they want it to be”.
As the theory of return to work, early intervention and WRAP becomes better understood and applied across the workforce, we all hope to see an improvement in the levels of employment among people with MS and other long-term health conditions.
With these changes:
- It will be possible for people to be open about their health condition without wrecking their career.
- Furthermore, we show people the evidence, but ‘seeing is believing’. People with long-term health conditions are the best advocates if they feel able to discuss.
- Increase the confidence and competence – ‘it’s not rocket science’ – not only about awareness-raising. It is about building confidence skills and resourcefulness.
Listen back the Webinar
This is just a small part of the content covered. Similarly, Graham Halsey also went through
- the benefits of having open communication between staff and employers;
- how having a holistic approach to managing absence benefits workers and businesses; and
- the small things everyone can do to have a healthy and happy workforce.
MS@Work Webinar 2.0 with Yolanda Higueras
On 11th December at 12 CET, Yolanda Higueras, Neuropsychologist, will present the second MS at Work Webinar. In particular, she’ll speak on mental health and employment, identity and other issues that affect people with MS.
Issues covered in the presentation:
- Tips and tools for dealing with issues in work
- Identity and work
- How do we deal with change?
- What steps can we take to deal well with change?
Use #MSatWork and Tweet to @eumsplatform.
WHO CAN PARTICIPATE AND HOW?
The webinar is open to everyone: people with MS, patients representatives, employers, businesses, colleagues, carers and those who simply want to learn more on this topic.
The webinar will be in English.
Join Emma Rogan, EMSP expert on Employment and Yolanda Higueras, Neuropsychologist on Tuesday December 11th at 12 CET.
If you have any questions or comments about the webinars or any of the topics covered, please email email@example.com.